I'm spending the morning in my Dad's office listening to melodic French-Arabic chatter. The three women in this office with me have wide smiles and colorful, vivid clothes. Some of the friendliest people I've met, but also very professional. I'm amazed how they flit from being shocked that I've never been to New York City to discussing fruit tree exportation.
Directly in front of me, outside the floor-to-ceiling window of this small office, I see a four-story tall advertisement of a scruffy, suited dark-and-handsome man. The slogan reads "Creating Your Suit is Creating Your Self." Are we all just insignificant, fleshy bags whose self-expression only takes on the identity of the threads we clothe ourselves in? Sometimes, it seems that way. That's about as deep as I can take my thoughts this morning. Forgive me.
Maybe my randomness has something to do with staying inside for the past two days. I was sick with some sort of stomach bug (I guess I should brush my teeth with bottled water from now on) and just recovered yesterday morning, but then my dad caught the same thing. We didn't leave the apartment because he wasn't feeling well. I'm not complaining at all; it was actually kind of nice to sleep in and recover from jet lag while watching reruns of American TV and catching up on reading about pop culture. There go my guilty pleasures, exposed to the world. But I'm glad to have some human contact today. Both of us are feeling much better. And laughing with these cheerful women is MUCH more fun than revisiting Rachel's famous 1990s haircut on Friends. Biggest understatement ever...um...stated.
Still loving Beirut! More to come. Also, photos will be uploaded in the next few days. Have a terrific day.
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment