Sunday, June 20, 2010

Eh eh...yalla bye.

I've managed to escape work for yet another week...but that stops tomorrow. I have a meeting with the editor of a magazine in the morning, then I get the scoop from the public health company's HR department in the afternoon. I start my short "internship/let's-see-what-you-can-do" position soon after that. I'll have to say goodbye to sleeping in until eleven every morning, but I'm looking forward to having somewhere to be and to have people counting on me. After all, I am almost a college senior. (ohmygoodness)

If this week were a pizza, the toppings would be plentiful and the crust would be stuffed with delicious memories. Baked in, there would be a birthday celebration with new friends, some Spanish spices from the Cervantes Institute and a fiesta to celebrate the language, two separate trips to the quaint city of Jbeil (Byblos) late at night and in the sweltering afternoon sun, and a taste of authentic Arabic sweets from Tripoli in Northern Lebanon.





Today, my dad and I are spending this Father's Day afternoon drinking mango smoothies at Costa Coffee. Italy is playing New Zealand, and every face is turned hopefully toward the television on the wall in front of me. It seems we're all unwinding before turning back into responsible adults tomorrow.

For lunch, I tasted the schawarma that's supposed to be the best in the city. I believe whoever made that decision. The thinly-shaved chicken, sour yogurt sauce, crisp pickles and salty fries wrapped in soft bread was the perfect explosion of simplicity. I could really go on forever. Food is my favorite subject to think/write/dream about.

Yikes, my thirty minutes of internet access is whittling away fast. My dad and I are planning to walk the along the seafront at sunset before munching on some homemade tacos later this evening. A relaxing end to my second exhilarating week in Beirut.

No comments:

Post a Comment